phone: (520)582-8197
e-mail: actsofgoodsamaritans@gmail.com

Monday, January 6, 2014

Keep an Eye out for people sleeping in frigid temperatures

As the winter season launches into full swing, there are some cold temperatures and frigid storms happening around the nation and the world. There are many homeless people who do not have access to shelters or warmth by a fire so be aware as you go about your daily life. Someone out there could be freezing or suffering with hypothermia.

You might think this doesn't affect you in any way or maybe you believe there is nothing that you could do about it. After all, you are only one person. Right? Well, Jesus Christ was one person and he changed the world for all eternity. Each one of us has an attribute within us that enables us to feel that spark of the divine compassion that Christ had for each person who ever lived. As individuals, all each one of us has to do is look around our immediate environment to see if there is even one person in need.

And what can you do if you see a person in need? Should you call a charity or a church to help them or send them to the police station for help? You can if you choose this method. But why not reach out to that person yourself and exercise compassion. It will help you grow both spiritually and physically. That old addage that giving helps the giver more than the receiver is very true. I know that any time my heart is able to do a kindness toward another, I feel a special feeling in my heart.

So please, remain aware this winter and distribute a warm blanket or sleeping bag or give a person a heavier coat, hat, heavy socks or a pair of boots. Even if all you can do is offer a super warm pair of gloves, don't hesitate. That pair of gloves means a world of difference to a person stuck homeless in the elements. Warm hands mean everything! Believe me, I know. I've been stuck out in the freezing temperatures without a pair of gloves, or  coat or boots and strangers shared with me. More than my hands and feet were warmed upon receiving such gifts. I will always remember how good it felt to be loved that much by strangers. It gave me a new perspective on this world and my own condition. That is why I am setting out to start a movement to help as many people in need as I am humanly able to inspire others and myself to do.

Won't you join in this effort and be the good samaritan today?

Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment